Wife: Vrushali Gokhale Age: 77 Years Caste: Chitpawan Brahmin
|Profession(s)||Actor, Director, Social activist|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 170 cm
in meters– 1.70 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 7”
|Eye Colour||Light Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Debut||As an actor (Film)
• Hindi- Parwana (1971) as Junior Police Inspector
• Marathi- Varhadi Ani Vajantri (1973)
• Gujarati- Aapo Jadro (1979)
• Tamil- Kalavaramaye Madilo (2009) as Rao
As a director
• TV Show (Marathi)- Avartan (2017)
|Awards||2007: Best Ensemble Cast for Virrudh: Har Rishta Ek Kurukshetra (2007) at the Indian Telly Award (shared with 11 other co-actors)
2011: Sangeet Natak Akademi Award for his contribution to theatre by the Sangeet Natak Akademi
2013: National Award for Best Actor for the Marathi film Anumati at the 60th National Film Awards
2013: Lifetime Achievement Award at the 4th NBC Awards
2015: Vishnudas Bhave Award by the Akhil Maharashtra Natya Vidya Mandir Samiti
|Date of Birth||14 November 1945 (Wednesday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||77 Years|
|Birthplace||Poona, Bombay Presidency, British India (now Pune, Maharashtra, India)|
|Hometown||Pune, Maharashtra, India|
|Caste||Vikram belongs to Chitpawan community Wikipedia|
|Controversy||• Booked under cheating charges for a land scam
In March 2020, an FIR was registered against the chairman of Sujata Farms Private Limited, Vikram Gokhale, and its two directors, Jayant Mhalgi and Sujata Mhalgi for allegedly duping Rs 96.99 lakh from 14 investors against a plot deal in Mulshi taluka of Pune district in Maharashtra. One of the victims, Jayant Bhairat, an artist from Kothrud in Pune, lodged a complaint at the Paud Police Station in Mulshi taluka, Pune, and accused the three of cheating him and other people involved in a private hill station project called Girivan, promoted by Sujata Farms Private Limited, which came into operation in 1989. He alleged that the directors of the project mislead the people by assuring the project as “government-approved” and lured them to invest in the scheme after convincing them of several benefits. Considering the goodwill of Vikram Gokhale, people trusted him and eventually invested in the project. After a few years, despite collecting the money and signing the legal sale deed, the investors were delivered with the plots, which had discrepancies in terms of measurement and size of land. The police booked Vikram and the other accused under sections 420 (cheating), 465 (forgery), 468 (forgery for the purpose of cheating), 341 (wrongful restraint), 447 (criminal trespass), 34(common intention), and 427 (mischief causing damage) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). In an interview, Jayant talked about the scam and revealed the details of the project and said,
Considering the involvement of Gokhale, we trusted them and invested in the project. The other accused are lawyers so they assured the investors that they need not to worry about the legal part of the deal. In 2016, when we requested the collector to get government demarcation of the land done, the accused objected to it. It was then that we realised that we had been cheated. There are more than 50 people who have been duped by the accused.” Pune Mirror
During an interview, Vikram Gokhale, addressed the media and denied the charges levied on him regarding the land scam and said,
|Relationships & More|
• Nisha Kekar Adav
• Neha Gokhale Sundriyal
|Parents||Father– Chandrakant Gokhale (actor and singer, who died on 20 June 2008, at the age of 87)
Mother– Hemavati Gokhle
• Bhishma Gokhale
• Mohan Gokhale
Sister– Aparajita Munje
|Other Relative||Grandfather- Raghunathrao Gokhale
Grandmother- Kamlabai Gokhale (actress, who died on 17 May 1998)
Great grandfather- Anand Nanoskar ( former professor of history at the Sir J.J. School of Art in Mumbai, Maharashtra)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Vikram Gokhale
- Vikram Gokhale is an Indian actor, director, and social activist, well-known for appearing in Marathi theatrical production, Hindi films, and television shows. He gained recognition for playing the role in Hindi films Agneepath (1990) as M. S. Gaitonde, Khuda Gawah as Ranveer Singh (1992), Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam (1999) as Pundit Darbar, Bhool Bhulaiyaa (2007) as Acharya Yagyaprakash Bharti, and De Dana Dan (2009) as Paramjeet Singh Lamba.
Vikram Gokhale as Pundit Darbar in a still from the Hindi film Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam (1999)
- Vikram, initially, started his career by acting in Marathi theatrical productions. Some of his notable performances in stage plays include Jaawai Maajha Bhalaa, Khara Sangaycha Tar, Jawai Majha Bhala, Katha, Ke Dil Abhi Bhara Nahi, and many more.
Poster of the play Ke Dil Abhi Bhara Nahi
- Vikram has acted in popular Marathi films like Bala Gau Kashi Angai (1977) as Vasant, Kalat Nakalat (1989) as Manohar Desai, Lapandav (1993) as Advocate Mahashabde, Mukta (1994) as Eknath, Anumati (2013) as Ratnakar, Aamhi Bolato Marathi (2014), and Youth (2016).
- In 1990, Vikram shot to fame when he played the role of commissioner M. S. Gaitonde in the Hindi film Agneepath, starring Amitabh Bachchan.
Vikram Gokhale as M. S. Gaitonde in the Hindi film Agneepath (1990)
- Some of the notable Bollywood films of Vikram Gokhale include Eeshwar (1989) as Chaudhary, Tum Bin (2001) as Girdhari Shah, Kuch Tum Kaho Kuch Hum Kahein (2002) as Vishnu Pratap Singh, Bang Bang! (2014) as Narayanan, and Aiyaary (2018) as Pratap Malik.
Vikram Gokhale (middle) as Pratap Malik in a still from the Hindi film Aiyaary (2018)
- Vikram’s grandmother, Kamlabai Gokhale, was the first female child actor in Indian cinema, who, at the age of thirteen, played the role of Mohini in the Hindi film Mohini Bhasmasur in 1913. His great-grandmother, Durgabai Kamat, who played the role of Parvati in the same film, was the first female actor in Indian cinema. Mohini Bhasmasur was the first Indian film to have a female actor, which was written, directed, and produced by Dadasaheb Phalke, who is known as the Father of Indian cinema. (Raja Harishchandra, which is considered to be India’s first full-length feature film had the female role of Rani Taramati, which was played by a male, Anna Salunke, an Indian actor who was known for performing female roles in Indian cinema.)
- In 1990, Vikram gained recognition in the Hindi television industry for playing the lead role of Akbar in the show Akbar Birbal on Zee TV.
Vikram Gokhale as Akbar in a still from the Hindi television show Akbar Birbal (1990) on Zee TV
- Vikram has acted in a few Marathi and Hindi television shows like Natkhat Narad (1985) as Mahavishnu on Doordarshan, Udaan (1989) as Brij Mohan on Doordarshan, Chandan Ka Palna Resham Ki Dori (2001) as Jitendra Bhimani on Zee TV, Virrudh: Har Rishta Ek Kurukshetra (2007) as Dhirendra Raisinghaniya on Sony TV, Jeevan Saathi (2008) as Vikramaditya Rathore on Colors, Mera Naam Karegi Roshan (2010) as Thakur Veer Pratap Singh on Zee TV, and Tuzech Mi Geet Gaat Aahe (2022) as Pandit Mukund Narayan on Star Pravah (Marathi).
Poster of the Hindi television show Virrudh: Har Rishta Ek Kurukshetra (2007)
Vikram Gokhale as Pandit Mukund Narayan in a still from the Marathi television show Tuzech Mi Geet Gaat Aahe (2022)
- Vikram was appointed as the chairman of the real estate firm, Sujata Farms Private Limited in Pune, which was incorporated on 26 October 1989.
- Vikram has been actively involved in various social work to facilitate support to those in need. He founded a charitable foundation that provides financial support for disabled soldiers, orphan children, widows, and other people in need. In May 2020, he donated land worth Rs 2 crore to Akhil Bharatiya Chitrapat Mahamandal to support senior and notable artists of the Marathi entertainment industry.
- Vikram is the owner of a performing art school, Vikram Gokhale Acting Academy in Pune, Maharashtra.
- In 2016, after suffering from prolonged throat disease, Vikram decide to quit the theatre. In an interview, he laid emphasis on the importance of theatre in his life and said,
People think that theatre is more satisfying because you receive direct appreciation. For me, doing theatre is like making an offering to Lord Natrajan. Each rehearsal and each performance is a second chance given to me by the Almighty to improve my performance and do better the next time by working on my faults and flaws. Rangmanch is a school. There is a second chance given every day, in every performance. I always advise the new generation of actors to do at least one play in a year for learning and knowledge and, and not for money.” The Indian Express
- In an interview, Vikram Gokhale talked about his struggle days in the film industry and how Amitabh Bachchan came in support of him, he said,
I went through a lot of struggle when I entered this Industry. I was going through a huge financial crunch and was looking for shelter in Mumbai. When Amitabh Bachchan came to know about this, he personally wrote a letter to Manohar Joshi, who was a Chief Minister of Maharashtra during 1995-99. And I got a house from the government only because of his recommendation. I still have that letter with me which I have framed it.” The Times of India
- In an interview, Vikram revealed that before pursuing his career as an actor, he had cleared the examination for the Indian Air Force, but somehow, could not move ahead with it.
- On 5 November 2022, Vikram was admitted to the Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital in Pune after having multiple health issues. On 24 November 2022, the news of his death surfaced on social media. Later, while addressing the media reporters, Vikram’s wife, Vrushali, denied the rumours of his passing away and said,
He slipped into coma yesterday afternoon and post that, he has not responded to touch. He is on the ventilator. Doctors will decide tomorrow morning what to do, depending on whether he’s improving, sinking or still not responding. He improved a bit but slipped again. He has had a host of issues, like in heart and kidney. At the moment, he has had a multi-organ failure.” The Indian Express
|↑3||The Times of India|
|↑4||The Indian Express|
|↑5||The Times of India|
|↑6||The Indian Express|