Temjen Imna Along is an Indian politician. On 15 January 2020, he became the State President of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) of Nagaland. Since 2018, he is the minister of Higher Education & Tribal Affairs, Government of Nagaland.
Temjen Imna Along Longkumer was born on Tuesday, 25 November 1980 (age 40 years; as of 2022) in Nagaland, India. His zodiac sign is Sagittarius. He completed his pre-university (12th standard) in commerce at City College of Arts and Commerce in Dimapur in 1999.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Weight (approx.): 95 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Temjen belongs to a Christian family in Nagaland.
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Imnasashi Longkumer, who passed away. His mother’s name is Temsunaro Chungmir. He has a brother named Tinu Akum Longkumer who is in the Naga regiment of the Indian Army.
Temjin’s mother with his nephew
Temjen’s brother, Tinu Akum Longkumer
He belongs to the AO Naga tribe in Nagaland, which falls into the scheduled tribe category in India. He follows Christianity.
Temjen wearing the traditional attire of Nagaland
Temjen joined politics in 2018 when he was elected to the Nagaland legislative assembly from Alongtaki (Mokokchung) constituency. In 2018, he became a member of the Nagaland Legislative Assembly from the Alongtaki constituency, and in the same year, he became the minister of Higher and Technical education in the Fourth Neiphiu Rio ministry.
Faced Backlash from United Naga Council (UNC)
In 2021, on the Naga political issue following the formation of the Core Committee on Naga Political Issue (CCNPI), he said that the central government is ready to solve the Naga political issue, but the Nagas have to completely accept the solution. In an interview, he said,
The Government of India (GOI) under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Home Minister Amit Shah is ready to provide a settlement, but are we completely inclusive to accept it? The GOI is putting in all efforts and is committed towards the people of Nagaland. One cannot blame the BJP if the settlement is not happening. As if the BJP is only to be blamed for not settling the issue. Today, if the BJP government says this is the settlement, will all accept it?”
The United Naga Council (UNC) was not happy with Imna’s statement. In a press statement, UNC said,
It is highly unfortunate and too early from a ‘young novice politician’. We wish he mends his ways as he has a long way to go.”
After facing backlash from tribal groups and social organisations, he expressed grief for hurting the feelings of people. He said,
Any solution that would come should be under the Constitution of India and it should be under the Indian union. So anything that is good for the Naga people under the Constitution of India should be pursued and done. I appeal all fellow Nagas as well as the government of India that an honourable and sustainable solution be worked out so that tomorrow’s generation of Nagas will live with dignity.”
Morphed in an Adult Video
In 2022, Temjen filed a complaint in the cybercrime facility of the state police against an anonymous person who blackmailed him with a manipulated adult video. According to him, his image was used in the adult video with the help of computer graphics to ruin his reputation. The anonymous person demanded a ransom and blackmailed him to upload the vulgar video on social media if the sum of the total amount was not paid. Inma said,
I have already lodged a complaint against the number (from which the miscreant had called). If anyone receives any message as such, kindly report it to me by sending me the ID or phone number… Help me find the culprit. I will take good care of him in our Naga style.”
Awards & Honours
- On 17 February 2016, P.B. Acharya, Governor of Nagaland and Assam went to the headquarter of REM Group at Longtho, Mokokchung Nagaland and presented him Certificate of Recognition for his contribution to the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan Mission, Nagaland.
Certificate of Recognition
- Temjen won the International Award in “Leadership Excellence in Social Entrepreneurship” at the 7th edition of the Middle East Business Leadership Award 2016 on 17 February 2017 at the Inter Continental London Park Lane, London.
Temjin Imna Along received the Leadership Excellence in Social Entrepreneurship Award in 2016
- On 23 February 2017, Governor of Nagaland & Arunachal Pradesh, Shri. P.B. Acharya, congratulated Temjen Imna Along, at Raj Bhavan Kohima, Nagaland, for winning the Leadership Excellence in Social Entrepreneurship Award.
Temjen with Governor of Nagaland & Arunachal Pradesh, Shri. P.B. Acharya at Raj Bhavan Kohima, Nagaland
He has a Toyota Fortuner and Toyota Innova.
Reportedly, his monthly income is Rs 5 Lacs.
As of 2018, his net worth is Rs 9.2 Crores.
- Besides being a BJP minister, he is also a businessman. He is the Chairman & MD of REM Group Nagaland.
- Temjen is popularly known among netizens for his witty and humorous replies. While talking about the benefits of having small eyes and joking about racism, during an event, he said,
The chances of dirt entering small eyes are low. People with small eyes can sleep during long events.”
- Temjen is unmarried, and after he became famous over the internet, he shared a screenshot of Google searches related to his name. One of the searches which were trending the most was “temjen imna along wife”. He took to Twitter and posted the screenshot with the caption,
Ayalee, @Google search excites me. I am still looking for her!”
Ayalee, @Google search excites me.😆
I am still looking for her! pic.twitter.com/RzmmgyFFeq
— Temjen Imna Along (@AlongImna) July 10, 2022
Anupam Mittal, the founder of Shaadi.com, replied to him by tweeting,
kuch karna padega @ShaadiDotCom
— Anupam Mittal (@AnupamMittal) July 10, 2022
To this, Temjen replied to Anupam Mittal and said,
Bhai filhal hum bindas hai. Waiting for Salman Bhai.”
- On 11 July 2022, on the occasion of World Population day, he encouraged people to join his singles movement and stay single like him. He tweeted,
On the occasion of #WorldPopulationDay, let us be sensible towards the issues of population growth and inculcate informed choices on child bearing.
Or #StaySingle like me and together we can contribute towards a sustainable future.
Come join the singles movement today. pic.twitter.com/geAKZ64bSr
— Temjen Imna Along (@AlongImna) July 11, 2022
- In 2022, while speaking at an event, he shared his experience when he visited New Delhi for the first time in 1999 and faced racism due to his facial features. He said,
Purani Dilli railway station jab uthra, toh humare Nagaland pradesh se bhi zyada abadi dekha. Hum toh wohi chokh gaya. Koi log yeh fayla diya ki Naga log aadmi khata hai, woh khata hai…aur humko dekhke toh aur zyada shak hone laga. Dikhne mein alag, khan-paan mein alag, soch bichar mein alag… ussi tarah hum log 50 se 60 saal reh ke aye hai.”
- Addressing the stereotypes about the Northeast people, he mentioned that it was hard for him to prove to people that he is Indian. He said,
I had to make a lot of conventions that we are Hindustani and are from Nagaland. So someone also asked which land Switzerland or Finland. I do not forget that day.”
- On 10 July 2022, Temjen shared an incident on his Twitter handle when he went to see the Taj Mahal in 1999. He said,
I went to see the Taj Mahal in 1999. At that time I also joined the line of the common man along with the countrymen. When I reached the counter after such a long line, two people took me to another line. I did not know. At that time it used to take 20 dollars to enter. But we had never even seen $20 in our life.”
An incident, when I went to see Taj Mahal at 1999. 🤦🏻@shubhankrmishra आभारी 🙏 https://t.co/P1FJ4KvEu3
— Temjen Imna Along (@AlongImna) July 10, 2022