Caste: Scheduled Tribe (Santhal)
Age: 56 Years
|Known for||Beigh the husband of the 15th President of India, Droupadi Murmu|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Date of Birth||1 April 1958 (Tuesday)|
|Birthplace||Pahadpur Village, Badampahar (Mayurbhanj), Odisha, India|
|Date of Death||1 August 2014|
|Age (at the time of death)||56 Years|
|Death Cause||Cardiac Arrest Amar Ujala|
|Hometown||Mayurbhanj, Odisha, India|
|Caste||Scheduled Tribe (Santhal) India Today|
|Food Habit||Non-vegetarian Amar Ujala|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Married|
|Marriage Date||Year, 1980|
|Wife/Spouse||Droupadi Murmu (Politician)|
• Laxman Murmu, died on 25 October 2010
• Sipun Murmu, died on 2 January 2013
Father-in-law – Biranchi Narayan Tudu (farmer)
Mother-in law– Name Not Known
Some Lesser Known Facts About Shyam Charan Murmu
- Shyam Charan Murmu was an Indian banker. He is best known for being the husband of Droupadi Murmu who was elected as the 15th President of India in July 2022.
- Shyam Charan Murmu worked at the Bank of India and Odisha Unit of BOIOA as Office Bearer. While working at the Bank of India, he was transferred to Rairangpur in Mayurbhanj, Odisha, where he settled along with his family; he belonged to Pahadpur village in Mayurbhanj.
- While studying at a college in Bhubaneswar, Shyam Charan Murmu met Droupadi Murmu for the first time, and they became close friends. Reportedly, in 1980, Shyam Charan approached Droupadi’s family with a marriage proposal.
Droupadi Murmu in her younger days
- According to sources, Droupadi’s father, Biranchi Narayan Tudu, did not approve of this marriage, and he had even stopped talking to Droupadi for the same. Some media reports quote that Shyam Charan had arrived at Droupadi’s home with his relatives and friends to request Droupadi’s father accept his marriage proposal, and he stayed there for three-four days. According to Droupadi’s sister-in-law Shakymuni, Droupadi also wanted to get married to Shyam Charan.
- According to Lakshman Bansi, one of the uncles of Shyam Charan Murmu, Droupadi and Shyam Charan’s marriage was a love marriage. While recalling those days, his uncle says that Droupadi belongs to the Santhal tribe in which the dowry usually comes from the groom’s side, and during their marriage, it was decided that the groom’s side would give 1 bullock, 1 cow, and 16 pairs of clothes as dowry to the bride’s side. Droupadi’s aunt Jamuna Tudu also confirms this dowry story.
- His wife, Droupadi Murmu, worked as a teacher before she became active in politics. From 1979 to 1983, she worked as a junior assistant in the irrigation and electricity departments in Odisha. From 1994 to 1997, she worked as an assistant teacher in Odisha.
- In 1997, his wife contested the local elections, and she was elected as a councilor of Rairangpur in the Mayurbhanj district of Odisha. Later, she became the vice-president of Rairangpur Zila Parishad. In 2000, she won the assembly election from the Rairangpur constituency in Odisha and became a State Minister (Independent Charge) in the coalition government of the BJP and BJD.
- In 2002, Droupadi Murmu became the Minister of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying in Odisha. In 2006, she became the state president of BJP’s Scheduled Tribe Morcha. In 2009, she lost the Odisha assembly election from the Rairangpur constituency. In the same year, she also lost the Lok Sabha election. In 2015, she became the Governor of Jharkhand, and she held the post till 2021.
- Shyam Charan Murmu and Droupadi Murmu lost their younger daughter in 1984. On 25 October 2010, they lost their younger son Laxman Murmu in mysterious circumstances. On 2 January 2013, they lost their elder son Sipun Murmu in a road accident. These incidents devastated Shyam Charan Murmu, and on 1 August 2014, he died of a cardiac arrest. In an interview, while talking about her husband’s demise, Droupadi Murmu said,
When my second son died, the jolt was a little less than before because I was doing meditation. My husband wasn’t as strong as me, so he couldn’t survive.”
- According to Droupadi Murmu, after losing her husband and two sons within four years, she was devastated, and to overcome her grief, she inclined towards spirituality and started visiting the Brahma Kumaris Ashram in Mount Abu, Rajasthan. In an interview, she talked about her struggles in life and said,
I have witnessed many ups and downs in life. I have lost my two sons and my husband. I was completely devastated. But God has given me the strength to continue to serve the people.”
- After losing her husband and two sons, Droupadi Murmu converted her home into a boarding school, SLS (Shyam, Laxman & Sipun) Memorial Residential School in Pahadpur; the school is named after her husband and two sons. There is a memorial of her husband and two sons in the school.
The memorial of Droupadi Murmu’s husband and sons at SLS (Shyam, Laxman & Sipun) Memorial Residential School in Pahadpur
- In 2022, Droupadi Murmu became the first tribal to be nominated for the post of President of India for the 2022 Indian Presidential Elections. After her name was announced, Prime Minister Narendra Modi took to Twitter and wrote,
Millions of people, especially those who have experienced poverty and faced hardships, derive great strength from the life of Smt. Droupadi Murmu Ji. Her understanding of policy matters and compassionate nature will greatly benefit our country.”
- On 21 July 2022, Droupadi Murmu was elected as the 15th president of India. She secured a majority in the 2022 Presidential election, defeating opposition candidate Yashwant Sinha with 676,803 electoral votes (64.03% of the total) in 21 of the 28 states.
- Droupadi Murmu’s elevation to the highest post in the country was highly celebrated across the nation including the SLS (Shyam, Laxman & Sipun) Memorial Residential School in Pahadpur, Odisha.
#WATCH | Odisha: Celebrations begin at SLS (Shyam, Laxman & Sipun) Memorial Residential School, Pahadpur, founded by NDA’s presidential candidate Droupadi Murmu in memory of her husband & 2 sons after their demise
The counting of votes for the Presidential election is underway. pic.twitter.com/eysgf562jX
— ANI (@ANI) July 21, 2022
|↑1, ↑3||Amar Ujala|