Priya Malik is an NRI who is known for her appearance in the reality show Big Brother Australia(season 11) and Big Boss India(season 9). She is an actor, storyteller, poet, writer, and a television personality.
Priya Malik was born on Monday, 9 January 1989 (age 33 years; as of 2022) in Neshvilla Road, Dehradun, India. Her zodiac sign is Capricorn. Priya completed her schooling at Carman School, Dehradun and Convent Of Jesus & Mary High School Dehradun. Priya took arts as her major subject in her higher school. She graduated in English Honors from Sri Venkateswara College, Delhi University. In 2008, she went to Australia on a student visa to pursue her higher studies. Priya has completed her post-graduation in applied linguistics, Master’s in teaching (middle and secondary) and Masters’s In Education by research at the University of South Australia.
A picture of Priya Malik when she was a kid
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Figure Measurements (approx.): 36-28-35
Parents & Siblings
The name of Priya Malik’s parents is not known yet.
Priya Malik with her mother
Priya Malik with her father
Priya Malik with her parents
Picture of Priya Malik’s grandfather
Priya Malik with her grandmother
Priya Malik has a brother and a sister, Neha Malik.
Priya Malik with her brother
Priya Malik with her sister, Neha Malik
Husband & Children
In April 2008, Priya Malik, at the age of 21, got married to Bhushan Malik, an Australian citizen.
Priya Malik with her ex-husband, Bhushan Malik
Both of them were in a long term relationship before the got married.
A picture of wedding ceremony of Priya Malik and Bhushan Malik
After 10 years of marriage, they got separated in 2018 in Australia. The main reason for their separation was that Priya wanted to shift back to India, while Bhushan refused to leave Australia. On 28 October 2019, Priya got engaged to Karan Bakshi, a Delhi based entrepreneur in Chhatarpur Gurdwara, New Delhi.
Priya Malik on her engagement ceremony with Karan Bakshi
In an interview, she revealed her engagement and said,
Coming back to India, finding love again has had a profound impact on me. I was not looking to get married again. I was open to it. And that’s exactly when it happened.”
- Her first tattoo was a phoenix tattoo inked on her chest.
Priya Malik with phoenix and ‘OM’ symbol tattoo
- She has a paw and Karma tattoo inked on her right wrist.
Priya Malik’s tattoo inked on her right wrist
- The tattoo with the words “Deep Rooted” on her neck.
Priya Malik’s tattoo inked on her neck
- She has a tattoo inked on her upper back.
Priya Malik’s tattoo inked on her back
- She has a one-word tattoo ‘freedom’ inked on her left shoulder.
Priya Malik’s tattoo on her left shoulder
- She has an OM tattoo inked on her right shoulder.
Priya Malik’s first job in Australia was as an appointment setter. Later, Priya became a high school teacher at Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (OLSH) College in Adelaide, Australia.
In 2021, Priya Malik made her debut in the short film ‘Sheer Qorma’ in which she played the role of Susan.
Poster of Priya Malik’s film Sheer Qorma
The film is about the discrimination faced by the LGBTQ community. In 2022, she appeared in a short film called ‘Jeena Abhi Baki hai’ which was presented and produced by Imtiaz Ali.
In 2014, Priya Malik participated as a contestant in season 11 of the American television reality show ‘Big Brother.’
Priya Malik with her fellow contestants in the show Big Brother Australia
She survived in the house for 79 days. Priya came back to India and in 2014 she participated as a contestant in the reality show Big Boss season 9. She came as a wild card contestant who got evicted in the last week of the show.
Priya Malik with Salman Khan in Big Boss Season 9
In an interview, when asked about her eviction in the finale week, she said,
I was definitely disappointed. I guess being declared as the first finalist that kind of back-fired. I think the audience must have thought that I am already a finalist.”
In 2017, Priya Malik was seen in an all-female theatre play ‘Selfie’ which was directed by Actress Tanaaz Irani.
Priya Malik in a still from the play Selfie
Priya played the role of Sonya Kapoor, a popular small screen actress. It was a two-hour long play that was staged at the Kala Mandir auditorium in Kolkatta.
In 2017, Priya appeared in the Color’s show ‘Savitri Devi College & Hospital’ in which she played the role of Keerti Fernandes. In 2016, she appeared as a host in the show ‘Gangster ki girlfriend’ on ABP news in which she revealed the love affairs of gangsters with Bollywood actresses. In 2019, Priya was seen in Star Plus’s show ‘Nazar’ in which she played the role of Dukaayan. In an interview, when asked about her negative role in the show, she said,
When I was approached for the role, I was very thrilled to explore a role that is unseen and unheard of on Indian television. I play a Dayan who is very scintillating, powerful and will bring an unexpected twist on the show. Being my debut in Hindi fiction, I wanted to choose a show and a character that creates an intrigue and gets the audiences hooked onto their screens and that attracted me to the character. The show celebrates untamed energy, in its strongest form through its various female characters. Viewers will see me in a never-seen-before avatar on screen. I hope audiences shower my performance with the same love and appreciation as they did before.”
In 2019, Priya Malik hosted the show titled ‘Uncensored News With Priya Malik’ on TV9 Bharatvarsh in which she delivered and discussed current political and social issues in a poetic format.
While Priya was a high school teacher in Australia, she went to a district slam poetry competition and gave her first spoken word poetry performance. Priya was the South Australia State Finalist for the Australian Poetry Slam in September 2013. Priya has been featured in various magazines and newspapers like Grazia, The Times Of India, and the Asian Age. Priya has been featured on India’s biggest spoken word poetry platforms namely Kommune India, UnErase Poetry, Spill Poetry, Amazon Prime and Tape A Tale. Some of her famous works include “Mujhe Pyaar Nahin, Ishq Chahiye”, “Broken But Beautiful”, and “2019 Mein 1999.”
Priya Malik has appeared in a few advertisements for popular brands like Olx and Imperial Blue
Priya Malik accused Rishabh Sinha of sexual molestation
Priya Malik accused her fellow contestant Rishabh Sinha of sexually molesting her on the reality show Big Boss season 9. It happened during a task where Rishabh licked Priya’s fingers in order to stop her from performing the task. Priya lost control and blamed him for sexually abusing her onscreen.
- Priya was popularly known as ‘Posh Spice’ of the Big Brother season 11 for her violent behaviour in the house.
- Priya had worked as a comedian in Australia and has performed at a few comedy clubs with Adelaide Comedy, Cranker Comedy, Comedy at Gov, SA Comedy and A Mic in Hand Comedy in Sydney.
Priya Malik performing in a comedy show in Australia
- Priya took active participation in elocution competitions and debate competitions in school.
- In 2022, Priya Malik was seen in the Netflix’s web series ‘Yeh Kaali Kaali Ankhein’ in which she played the role of Shefali.
Priya Malik during the shoot of her web series, Yeh Kaali Kaali Ankhein
- In May 2022, Priya Malik was featured in the World Business Review Corporation UK Ltd’s 45 under 45 India list in which her work as a poet was appreciated.
Priya Malik with her award for being featured in the World Business Review Corporation UK Ltd’s 45 under 45 India list
- In 2014, Priya participated in the 11th season of Big Brother Australia through a new method in which people nominated their friends for the show without their knowledge. Priya is still unknown of the fact that who nominated her for the show.
- Priya has a pet cat, Gundi Kaur.
Priya Malik with her pet cat, Gundi Kaur
- Priya had raised her voice for social awareness initiatives like ‘Free the Nipple’ and the removal of tax on sanitary napkins.
Hi @arunjaitley when contraceptives are tax free then why not sanitary pads?Only 12% of Indian women can afford #LahuKalagaan @SheSaysIndia
— Priya Malik (@PriyaSometimes) April 18, 2017
- In 2015, Priya appeared as a judge of the Miss/Mrs Australia and Pacific Islands pageant.
- Priya Malik appeared at a TEDx event at Symbiosis International University, Viman Nagar, Pune.
Tedx-ing. Video out soon. pic.twitter.com/PxWFKZvIbS
— Priya Malik (@PriyaSometimes) January 27, 2018
- Priya’s favourite poet is Gulzar.
- Priya slammed cricketers Hardik Pandya and KL Rahul for their controversial comments on women in the chat show, Koffee with Karan with her poem titled ‘Dear Mister Player.’
- Priya conducted an online workshop on poetry titled’ Priya Ki Pathshaala’ in May 2020.
- While Priya resides in India, she does radio for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
- Priya Malik is often seen drinking and smoking at parties with friends.
Priya Malik is seen smoking in the picture
Priya Malik is seen drinking in the picture
- Before moving to Australia, Priya worked as a call centre agent, quality analyst, tutor, and trainer in India.