Age: 47 Years
Marital Status: Unmarried
Hometown: Periya Thirumangalam, Aravakurichi, Karur District, Tamil Nadu
|Full name||Jothimani Sennimalai Jothimani – Instagram|
|Nickname||Jo Jothimani – Facebook|
|Profession(s)||Politician, Writer, Social Worker|
|Known for||Being the Congress MP from Karur constituency|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 170 cm
in meters– 1.70 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 7”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 55 kg
in pounds– 121 lbs
|Figure Measurements (approx.)||34-26-34|
|Political Party||Indian National Congress|
|Political Journey||• At the age of twenty-two, she joined the Indian Youth Congress, a youth wing of the Indian National Congress.
• She contested the 2011 Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly elections from Karur constituency, but did not win the seat.
• In 2014, she contested the General elections, but could not win.
• In 2015, she announced that she would contest the 2016 Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly election from Aravakurichi constituency, but later, she withdrew her name from the election.
• In 2019, she won the 2019 Indian general elections from Karur constituency.
|Awards||• 1999: Ilakkiya Chinthanai Award for Best short story
• 2007: Shakthi Award for Best short story collection
|Date of Birth||9 August 1975 (Saturday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||47 Years|
|Birthplace||Dharapuram, Tirupur, Tamil Nadu|
|Hometown||Periya Thirumangalam, Aravakurichi, Karur District, Tamil Nadu|
|College/University||• Sri G.V.G Visalakshi College for Women, Udumalaipet
• Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu
• Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu
• Bharathiyar University, Tamil Nadu
|Educational Qualification(s) Loksabha.nic.in||• Bachelor of Science in Mathematics
• Master of Arts (2003)
• Master of Philosophy (2005)
|Address||She resides at 47/1, KP Towers, Ramakrishnapuram,Karur, Tamil Nadu- 639001 Tels: , 04324232626.|
|Hobbies||Reading, Engaging with children and old age people, Agriculture activities|
|Controversies||• Jothimani an actor not a politician:
In 2019, Jothimani attracted controversy when Tamil Nadu General Secretary, KS Narendiran, took to Twitter to post a picture of Jothimani in two different outfits. In one of the pictures, she was seen wearing a saree, and in another picture she was seen wearing jeans and top. Narendiran called her an actor. After his tweet, people started posting pictures of Narendra Modi wearing a shirt and kurta pajama. She responded to the tweet after some days and questioned why women’s clothing is a topic of discussion for people. The Federal
• Exit from a television show:
• Case against her own party:
• Hurting Hindu sentiments:
• Beaten by Delhi Police:
|Relationships & More|
Father– Sennimalai (farmer)
• Cash: Rs. 5,35,000
• Deposits in Banks, Financial Institutions and Non-Banking Financial Companies: Rs. 3,83,605
• LIC or other insurance Policies: Rs. 6,27,450
• Jewellery: Rs. 6,00,000
Gross Total Value: Rs. 21,46,055 My Neta
|Net Worth (as of 2019)||Rs. 5,667,055 My Neta|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Jothimani
- Jothimani is an Indian politician, writer and social worker who is known for being the Congress MP from the Karur constituency.
- When she was thirteen years old, she lost her father, and her mother passed away in 2018.
- In an interview, she talked about her journey to becoming a politician. She said that when she was young, the people in her village boycotted the Dalit community from taking water from the village. She felt bad about this and thought if she had power, she could support the minorities. After she filed her application to contest the panchayat union elections in 1996, her mother and relatives got upset with her.
- She became the Panchayat Union Councillor in 1996 and worked till 2006.
- Before becoming the Congress MP, she worked as the General Secretary and Vice President of the Indian Youth Congress and Tamil Nadu Youth Congress respectively.
- While pursuing her graduation, she was elected as the chairperson of the College Students Union. She used to take part in NSS camps and social service activities.
- She joined politics at the age of twenty-two.
- She served as a member of the Tamil Nadu Censor Board between 2006 to 2009.
- In 2006, she got a chance to represent Indian Youth Congress at American Council for Young Political Leaders in the US and in 2009, she represented Indian Youth Congress at Asian Young Leader’s Summit in Malaysia.
- In 2010, she was an active member of the Asian Women Leaders Meet held in New Delhi.
- She has written three books including Ottrai Vasanai, Sithirak Koodu, and Neer Pirakku Munn. In the book, Ottrai Vasanai, she wrote about her experience of bringing water to the Dalits in the village. The book was selected as one of the best short stories by a Tamil weekly in 1996.
- She met Rahul Gandhi in 2004 during the party’s talent hunt programme in Andhra Pradesh. In an interview, she said that she wrote down her suggestions on paper and handed them to Rahul. He liked her ideas and later, asked former Union minister of state Jitendra Singh to guide her.
- In 2014, she launched her personal manifesto in the 2014 General Elections. In an interview, she talked about this and said,
Right-based campaign is basically an attempt to educate women and farmers on their rights, especially to Centrally sponsored schemes like the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme, besides training panchayat presidents to ensure to ensure that the funds allotted for the schemes reach the real beneficiaries.”
- In 2015, she was the All India Mahila Congress secretary of Karnataka.
- In an interview, she gave a message to the young girls and said,
Do join politics, politics is everywhere, women are oppressed, so get into the place where you can make decisions. Go and run the elections, after completing the age of 21, I did the same 23 years ago. Don’t think of politics as a dirty word, rather it will help you understand yourself better.”
- In 2021, she was arrested by the police for holding a protest against the government’s decision of removing the old Mahatma Gandhi statue and building a new bronze statue. After the police reached the spot, she was arrested.
- In 2021, she did a dharna in front of the collector’s office to put special camps for the disabled. She wanted to conduct the camps to select beneficiaries who can receive assistive devices supplied by the Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation (ALIMCO). In an interview, she talked about special camps and said,
I have personally visited 6300 out of 6800 village (sic) in my constituency. I was shocked by thousands of differently abled people who have sought our assistance. Will I ask for a camp if there was no need? On what basis is the collector not conducting the camps.”
- In 2019, she became the first Congresswoman parliamentarian to be elected from the Karur Lok Sabha seat.
|↑1||Jothimani – Instagram|
|↑2||Jothimani – Facebook|
|↑6||The News Minute|
|↑8||The Indian Express|
|↑9, ↑10, ↑11||My Neta|