Hugh Edmeades is a British auctioneer who gained popularity for replacing Richard Madley for IPL auctions. In 2022, it was also announced that he would conduct the Indian Premier League (IPL) auction in Kochi on 23 December 2022.
Hugh Edmeades was born in 1960 (age 62 years; as of 2022) in England, United Kingdom. He did his schooling at Rugby School, Warwickshire, England.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Grey
Eye Colour: Black
There is not much information available about his family.
In 1978, he joined Christie’s to get knowledge about antique furniture. After working there for some time, he was offered a job as Head of the Furniture department because his boss left the job. He said he would not head the department but will become an auctioneer. During his initial days at Christie’s, he was afraid to get on stage and speak in front of people, but after a crash course, he gained confidence and became a very successful auctioneer. In 1978, he became the Director of International Auctions at Christie’s. In 2004, he auctioned 88 guitars owned by Eric Clapton. In 2005, he conducted the auction for the TV celebrity auction BBC’s Children in Need auction. In 2008, he earned $5.6 million for Mandela’s children’s charity at Nelson Mandela’s birthday event held in London. He left his job at Christie’s and became an independent auctioneer in 2016.
In 2019, he was appointed by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) as an auctioneer of the IPL.
Hugh Edmeades at IPL 2019 auction
He replaced Richard Madley, who was the auctioneer of IPL since 2008. In an interview, he talked about this and said,
12 years ago, I was contacted to see if I could conduct the first ever IPL Auction. But I had other commitments to fulfill. So, I couldn’t consider the offer. But I am delighted that they have reconsidered me after so many years to conduct this edition of the auction.”
- He is popular for auctioning fine art, vintage vehicle, and charity works. At Christie’s, he has conducted more than 2,500 sales as an auctioneer.
- He has sold paintings by Old Masters, Impressionists, and Contemporary artists. He also auctioned beautiful furniture and Chinese ceramics.
- He works for charity fundraisers at national and international levels. For charity work, he visited various countries including Dubai, Hong Kong, Casablanca, New York, Mumbai, Monte Carlo, Los Angeles, and Tokyo.
- In 2022, he suffered from Postural Hypertension and fell from the stage during the IPL auction.
Hugh Edmeades after falling from platform at IPL auction
- After an experience of 35 years in auctioning, he gives training to people who aspire to become auctioneers.
- He has experienced a shift from telephone bidding to online streaming. In an interview, he said that initially, it was difficult for him, but later, he learned how to adjust later. In the interview, he added,
I try to make it fun. I’m energetic and lighthearted, even though it’s a serious business we’re doing. You don’t have to be a stand-up comedian up there, but you have to show that you’re not just some money-grabbing robot.”