Marital Status: Married
Wife: Mitali Mukherjee
Age: 82 Years
|Birth name||Bhupinder Soin|
|Profession(s)||• Ghazal singer
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 172 cm
in meters– 1.72 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 8”
|Debut||Song: Hoke Majboor Mujhe Usne Bulaya Hoga from the film Haqeeqat (1964)|
|Genres||Playback singing and Ghazals|
|Date of Birth||6 February 1940 (Tuesday)|
|Birthplace||Amritsar, Punjab, British India|
|Date of Death||18 July 2022|
|Place of Death||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Age (at the time of death)||82 Years|
|Death Cause||Cardiac Arrest India TV|
|Hometown||Amritsar, Punjab, British India|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Married|
|Marriage Date||Year, 1980s|
|Wife/Spouse||Mitali Mukherjee (a Bangladeshi Singer)|
|Children||Son– Amandeep Singh (musician) Getty Images|
Father– Natha Singhji (a trained vocalist)
Mother– Name Not Known
|Siblings||He had an elder brother.|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Bhupinder Singh
- Bhupinder Singh was an Indian playback and ghazal singer. On 18 July 2022, he died at the age of 82 after suffering cardiac arrest in Mumbai, India.
- In his childhood, Bhupinder Singh hated music. His father was a trained vocalist. Bhupinder received his early music training from his father. In a conversation with a media house, Bhupinder Singh disclosed that in childhood, he had the thinking that if he would join music as a career then he would never get respect. He told,
There was so much music in my house, that I never wanted to join music. My father Natha Singh was a music professor in Amritsar. My elder brother used to play instruments from a young age. I used to feel that if I joined music, I would never get respect.”
Bhupinder Singh (extreme right) with his co-singers
- In 1962, once, Bhupinder Singh was performing a singing show at the dinner party of Satish Bhatia, the producer of AIR Delhi, and at the party, he was heard singing by music director Madan Mohan who called him to Mumbai. In 1964, Madan Mohan gave him an opportunity to make his singing debut with the film Haqeeqat by singing the song ‘Hoke Majboor Mujhe Usne Bulaya Hoga’ along with other prominent Indian singers Mohammed Rafi, Talat Mahmood, and Manna Dey. Bhupinder Singh, along with Balraj Sahni and others, appeared on screen in the song.
A Young Bhupinder Singh
- Bhupinder Singh started his singing career on All India Radio and Doordarshan in Delhi and worked there till 1964 as a guitarist under the producer of AIR Delhi, Satish Bhatia.
- During his tenure at AIR and Doordarshan, he learned to play guitar and violin.
- In 1966, in the film Aakhri Khat, he received the chance to sing solo songs. Later, he lent his voice to a few famous duets such as “Duniya Chhute Yaar Na Chhute” and “Aane Se Uske Aaye Bahar,” with noted Indian singers Kishore Kumar and Mohammed Rafi.
- Bhupinder marked his Bollywood debut as a guitarist with the song Hare Ram Hare Krishna from the film Dum Maaro Dum in 1971, and this song was composed by RD Burman. Reportedly, RD Burman used to describe Bhupinder Singh as one of his Navratnas.
Bhupinder Singh with RD Burman
- Later, Bhupinder Singh started releasing his private music albums, and his first long play music album of self-composed songs was released in 1968. Thereafter, in 1978, he released a long play music album of ghazals in which he introduced the Spanish guitar, bass, and drums to the ghazals.
- Bhupinder Singh played the guitar in the song ‘Ek Hi Khwaab,’ which was written by Gulzar in 1977. In a media interview, Bhupinder Singh revealed that it was playing the guitar that pushed him toward singing as a career. He said,
There came a time I gave up singing. After that I started learning Hawaiian guitar and started playing very difficult songs in it. In this I also started playing classical music. While playing the guitar, my interest in music revived once again and I started singing again. Guitar brought me back to singing.”
Bhupinder Singh while enjoying playing guitar
- In 1980, he released his long-play music album titled Woh Jo Shair Tha along with the lyricist Gulzar.
- After Bhupinder Singh got married to a Bangladeshi playback singer, Mitali Mukherjee in the mid-1980s, he stopped playback singing and started performing at various live music concerts and releasing his own private music albums.
Bhupinder Singh performing at a live music concert
- Later, Bhupinder Singh, along with his wife, Mitali Mukherjee, released several ghazal and geet cassettes.
- In 1988, composer and singer Jagjit Singh requested Bhupinder Singh to lend his voice to poet-king Bahadur Shah Zafar’s ghazal ‘Ya Mujhe Afsar-e-Shahana Banaya Hota,’ which was introduced in Gulzar’s serial Mirza Ghalib and this serial was aired on Doordarshan in the same year.
- Some of his popular songs include “Dil Dhoondta hai,” “Do diwane shahar mein,” “Naam gum jayega,” “Karoge yaad to,” “Meethe bol bole,” “Kabhi kisi ko mukammal,” “Kisi nazar ko tera intezaar aaj bhi,” and “Ek akela is Shehar Mein.”
- On 18 July 2022, Bhupinder Singh died at the age of 82 in Mumbai. He was suffering from multiple health issues.